Flagstaff's first Climate Action and Adaptation Plan
As part of the Flagstaff City Council's goal to take meaningful climate action, City staff will work with community members, local businesses, and partner institutions to develop Flagstaff's first Climate Action and Adaptation Plan.
The Flagstaff Climate Action and Adaptation Plan will:
- Be a community plan, informed by the input and priorities of Flagstaff residents.
- Help Flagstaff residents, neighborhoods and businesses prepare for and adapt to changes in our climate.
- Set goals to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions while providing community benefits.
- Identify actions that will save money, protect community assets, and ensure quality of life amidst change.
- Be unique to Flagstaff’s unique economy, indigenous and scientific communities, and climate.
- Be developed from a foundation of equity and the enhancement of community well-being.
- Encourage action by the City, businesses, institutions, non-profits and residents.
This list was developed by a group of stakeholders who were interested in crafting the plan, who met this spring. This group developed goals for how we engage Flagstaff residents, incorporate different types of information, and make this plan unique to Flagstaff.
To learn more about what Climate Action and Adaptation Plans are, you can view resources here.
Click on the Get Involved and Plan Timeline buttons above to learn more.
We want you to be involved.
The Flagstaff Climate Plan will be a community plan, informed by resident ideas and feedback. We want every resident, business, and neighborhood organization to have a voice in this plan.
We will host community events and open houses to learn what you want out of this plan, opportunities for climate action you see in your neighborhood, and concerns you have about climate change. Community events will start in January. Stay tuned to this page, or sign up for email updates below.
Join Us: Coffee and Climate Monthly Meet-Ups
Want to talk to City staff about climate change in Flagstaff or the upcoming Climate Plan? Stop by our new coffee and climate sessions, held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. We will visit a different Flagstaff coffee shop each month.
Coffee and Climate
Wednesday, December 13th
White Dove Coffee Shop
9am - 10am
2211 E 7th Ave
Sign Up for the Climate Plan Newsletter!
We send a monthly Climate Plan newsletter and updates about upcoming events. Check out our November update.
To sign up for this newsletter and update list, fill out this short form here.
Climate Action and Adaptation Plan Timeline:
- The process begins. The City will start to research climate impacts in Northern Arizona and develop public engagement events.
- Where Flagstaff is now. We'll review our municipal and community level greenhouse gas emissions and build a "business as usual" scenario to understand our future emissions.
- In January, we'll host our first public event. We'll collect ideas for reducing emissions in Flagstaff and determine the community's priorities and concerns.
- Where Flagstaff is going: We'll assess what climate change we've already observed and then project climate change's impacts to our environment, economy, and community.
- Public Event #2: We'll hear community thoughts on different mitigation and adaptation strategies.
- In late spring, we'll present the draft plan based on technical analysis and public input.
- We'll hold our third public event to hear your comments on the preliminary draft.
- We'll edit the plan according to public comments to prepare for the final draft.
- We'll present the Final Climate Action and Adaptation Plan for public comment.
- We'll incorporate formal public comments into the draft.
- We'll present the final Plan to the Flagstaff City Council for their consideration.
Want to learn more?
Click on the 'Get Involved' button above to learn about opportunities for involvement, our monthly climate Newsletters, and our monthly event: Coffee and Climate. Or, just sign up for the newsletter here.
Climate Plan Steering Committee
A Steering Committee of community members and City staff will guide the development of the Climate Plan.
Visit the Steering Committee page to learn more about the Committee's role and their upcoming meetings.
Climate Action by City Council
The Flagstaff City Council has set a 2017-2019 goal to take meaningful climate change action, which will strengthen our community, improve health, and help Flagstaff prepare for the future.
Click here to learn more about recent climate-related actions by City Council.