Flagstaff Fire Department Important Winter Safety Guidelines...

Whether you are a commercial business or live in a residential area the City of Flagstaff Fire Department reminds the community to clear snow from fire hydrants, flat roofs and offers tips to reduce the risk of frozen pipes and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Keep Fire Hydrants Clear and Visible:
  • Keep fire hydrants clear from snow as you shovel your sidewalks
  • Remove snow and ice from the hydrant so it is visible
  • Clear a path wide enough to walk around 3 feet
  • If possible clear a path to the street
Fire Hydrant Snow.jpg
Flat Roof Snow Removal Guidelines:

The greatest potential for any kind of roof collapse is on flat roofs, peaked roofs are generally very safe and shed snow. The Fire Department recommendation is two feet of snow maximum on flat roofs. Consider how much snow is currently on the roof and upcoming weather predictions. For example: if the flat roof has two feet of snow and the weather service predicts six inches of snow tomorrow. The Flagstaff Fire Department recommends to clear six inches of snow off the flat roof. There is no need to remove all of it. Think safety first and use extreme caution near the edges and remember that height and a slick roof is not a good combination.

Tips to Avoid Frozen Pipes:

During this the coldest time of year, the Flagstaff Fire Department typically responds to 50 to 300 calls for service regarding broken water pipes flooding homes and businesses. Improperly insulated water lines in unheated areas will freeze bursting the pipes and causing untold property damage.

Remember to keep the heat on to at least 50 degrees and don’t leave areas with pipes closed off from the warmth. Under home basement or crawl spaces should be closed up tight and possibly even heated as well.

Carbon Monoxide Protection:

Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can also be sources of carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Safety Tips:
  • CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home or business
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call 911 for the fire department response, if needed the local gas company will also be called by our dispatch center. If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open.
  • Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle, are not covered with snow.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside.
For more information call (928) 213-2500.